Gift Aid FAQ

What is Gift Aid?

If you pay tax in the UK and give a donation, Ashgate Hospicecare can claim an extra 25% on your donation, at no cost to you. This means that if over one year you make donations totalling £100, we can claim an extra £25. All you need to do is fill in the declaration, we can send this to you by post or you can fill it in online:


I’ve already filled in a declaration for your charity, why are you asking me again?

For Gift Aid declarations to be valid, certain information is required. If any of this is missing we will ask you for this information to make sure we are following HMRC guidelines. This information includes, full name and address, date of declaration and the box must be ticked.


It says in the declaration it is my responsibility to pay any difference to HMRC, what does this mean?

You need to pay enough tax over the year to cover your donations to all charities. For example, if you donate £100 to one charity and £50 to another, you need to pay at least £37.5 tax in the year. You can see the amount of tax you pay on your pay slips or P60 if you receive a pension.


Can I Gift Aid my donations if I work part time or don’t work?

If your income is below £11,000, you won’t be able to claim Gift Aid. If you don’t pay any income tax you we won’t be able to claim Gift Aid.


Will Gift Aid cost me anything?

So long as you pay enough tax to cover the gift aid, it won’t cost you a penny. Your donations will qualify as long as they are not more than 4 times what you have paid in tax in that tax year (6 April to 5 April).


What type of tax does it talk about?

We can claim Gift Aid on income tax, this is money paid to you, such as a salary or pension. VAT and council tax are not eligible.


I donated £5, is it worth filling out the declaration?

Yes! We’d get an extra £1.25. Every penny really does count last year we were able to claim £160,000 in Gift Aid.


How do I know if I pay capital gains tax?

You would normally be aware of this as you have to declare it to HMRC.


Should I fill out the form if I’m not a UK Tax Payer?

Yes please! This helps us to keep our records up to date.


I think I’ve given you a declaration but I don’t pay tax anymore, what shall I do?

Please contact us so we can update our records and cancel your declaration. This means if you donate to Ashgate in the future, we’ll know not to claim gift aid.


I filled out a declaration for another charity, is this valid for Ashgate?

Declarations are specific to each charity, so if you donate to more than one, you’d need to fill out one for each.


Do I need to tick the box each time I make a donation?

You don’t need to, but if you do it means we can ensure we definitely have a valid declaration for you.


How long does the declaration last?

The declaration is ongoing, so you’d need to contact us to tell us if you want the declaration to stop.


I raised some money, can you claim Gift Aid on that?

Gift Aid can only be claimed on personal donations. If you organised an event and collected donations, we wouldn’t be able to claim Gift Aid. If you have taken part in an event and have raised sponsorship, gift aid can be claimed if we have the details of the people who sponsored you. The easiest way to do this is to set up a Just Giving Page, or you can get a sponsorship form by emailing or calling us.


What if I buy raffle tickets?

HMRC don’t treat raffle ticket purchases as donations so gift aid doesn’t apply to them.


I made some donations to you in the past, can I fill in a declaration to cover those?

Yes, we can claim Gift Aid on your donations going back four years. We can post you a form or you can fill it in online.


Please email or call 01246 567250 to update your Gift Aid status or for more information. You can update your declaration here.