Our Occupational Therapy Team consists of occupational therapists, technical instructors and drivers. The team is based at Ashgate Hospicecare and works with patients living with cancer and other life-limiting illnesses across North Derbyshire. The therapists promote patient independence, quality of life and provide high levels of advice and support to patients, carers and health staff.
The team are able to see patients in a variety of settings, including their own homes and at Ashgate Hospicecare’s Inpatient Unit and Day Hospice. They can also provide an advisory role to nursing and residential homes.
What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupational therapists promote independence and quality of life where a patient’s illness has restricted normal activities of daily living. Our team work very closely with other members of the care team, carers and community agencies, but the patient’s choice is central to any decisions made.
This may include:
– Assessing a patient’s abilities to manage in their home environment
– Facilitation of timely and appropriate discharges home from Ashgate Hospicecare by providing advice, training and equipment. We can follow up at-home patients who are discharged from other hospital settings
– Providing equipment, advice and support to prevent hospital admissions in order that people can stay in their preferred place of care
– Advice regarding coping with restricted energy levels
– Assessment and advice on wheelchairs, pressure care, comfort/posture and moving and handling issues
– Providing emergency short-term loan equipment
– Supporting patients and carers by offering practical advice and emotional support
In North Derbyshire, community equipment is provided via a company called Medequip. A limited amount of equipment is provided by Ashgate Hospicecare. If you need assistance with returning equipment to Medequip or Ashgate Hospicecare, please contact the Occupational Therapy Team.
Our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. The service is available during these office hours, although it may be possible to arrange appointments with a therapist outside these hours.